Lentil and Spinach Soup with Lemon Juice
This soup is one of my absolute favorites. I always make extra and store it in the fridge, allowing me to enjoy its delicious flavors throughout the week.
Servings: 4 People
- 2 cups brown lentils 400 grams
- 10 cups water as desire
- 3 potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 kilogram of spinach or green Swiss Chard chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of 1-2 sour lemons add gradually according to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons brown flour mixed with a little water
- For garnish:
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 10 cloves of garlic minced
- Bunch of green chopped Coriander
- Olive oil
- Boil the lentils in water for 15 minutes in a covered pot. Then add the chopped spinach and potatoes, cover the pot, and let it cook for another 15 minutes over medium heat or until all the ingredients are tender.
- Separately in a pan, sauté the onions in olive oil until they become golden. Add the garlic and sauté for a little while, then add the chopped coriander for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Add the mix on top of the soup and add the cumin. Stir the soup until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Mix the flour with a little water using a fork to eliminate any lumps. You can use hot soup water and add it to the flour to start adjusting the temperature and prevent clumps from forming in the soup.
- Then add the flour mixture to the soup, stir, and let it simmer for a while until it thickens.
- You can add water gradually if you want the soup lighter.
- Before turning off the heat, add the sour lemon juice.
I add some chopped coriander to give it this lovely taste